Great Summer Events Through Labor Day
By MediaWize, OCNJDaily
The summer season is coming to a close with a last chance to catch events like Market Days in the downtown and Family Night on the Boardwalk. All of Ocean City is looking forward to a full slate of September events and fall happenings that will stretch into the new year.
The Ocean City Pops will present “Star Wars and Beyond — The Music of John Williams” at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 1 at the Ocean City Music Pier. With a career that spans an incredible seven decades, John Williams helped to create some of the most memorable moments of the silver screen.
Maestro Vince Lee will lead an expanded Ocean City Pops orchestra in selections from “Star Wars,” “Harry Potter,” “Jurassic Park,” “E.T.” and so much more. A family-friendly pre-concert event will feature characters from the movies.
Tickets range from $15 to $20 and are available at oceancityvacation.com/boxoffice, 609-399-6111 or the Music Pier Box Office.
The weekly Farmers Market on the Ocean City Tabernacle grounds takes place 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and continues every Wednesday through Sept. 29.
Weather permitting, Ocean City’s downtown shopping and dining district will hold its final Thursday of Market Days entertainment and activities on Asbury Avenue from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Family Night entertainers take over the Ocean City Boardwalk one last time on Thursday evening (Sept. 2) from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
The Ocean City Pops returns to the Music Pier at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 5 and features “The Three Tenors of Ocean City.” Come celebrate Labor Day weekend as vocal superstars Chris Lysack, Robert Stahley, and David Gordon-Johnson join forces with Vince Lee and the Pops.
The 30th annual OCNJ Labor Day Race is set for Monday, Sept. 6. The event is a 5-mile beach run with the start and finish at 23rd Street. The event also includes a 1-mile walk/run on the beach. Online registration is now open at ocnj.us/race-events. Race-day registration opens at 7:30 a.m. and the race starts at 9 a.m.
FULL SCHEDULE OF SEPTEMBER EVENTS
It’s not too early to start planning for fall fun in Ocean City. Here’s a preview of some of September’s events.
- 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony (Sept. 11): “A Day to Remember” will include music, prayer and reflections on the memory of lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001. All are encouraged to attend. 6 p.m. at the Ocean City Tabernacle, 550 Wesley Avenue.
- Classic Car and Street Rod Show (Sept. 11): Cars will be on display on the Boardwalk from noon to 4 p.m.
- Barry Williams (Sept. 11): The actor who starred as America’s most reliable big brother in the 1970s sitcom “The Brady Bunch” will be on hand to meet and greet fans and to lead a parade of street rod cars down the Boardwalk. At 1:30 p.m., he will be available to meet with up to 150 fans at the Ocean City Music Pier. For $30, individuals can meet Williams and take a selfie with the former teen star who later was active in musical theater. Merchandise also will be for sale for autographs. For more information, call 609-399-6111.
- Corvette Show (Sept. 12): More than 350 cars will be exhibited on the Boardwalk from Sixth Street to 14th Street in one of the largest shows of its kind on the East Coast. The show runs 11:30 am. to 4 p.m. For more information, visit www.facebook.com/OCNJCorvetteShow.
- Mr. Mature America Pageant: The popular pageant for men 55-and-over has been rescheduled to spring 2022, returning to its traditional date with the Doo Dah Parade.
- Ocean City Walk to Defeat ALS (Sept. 18): This two-mile walk raises funds to support patient services and research. Visit www.oceancitywalktodefeatals.org.
- Ocean City Pops presents Phantom’s Eryn LeCroy (Sept. 18): “Phantom of the Opera” star Eryn LeCroy makes her widely anticipated return to the Ocean City Music. Call 609-399-6111 or visit oceancityvacation.com/boxoffice.
- Parachute Pyrotechnic Show (Sept. 18): A highly trained parachute team puts on a pyrotechnic display above Ocean City’s beach and Boardwalk. 8 p.m. jump with a landing on the 7th Street Beach. Viewable along the entire Boardwalk.
- Boardwalk Aerobatic Airshow (Sept. 19): Thrill to some of the best stunt pilots and aerobatic champions in the world plus military demonstrations. 1 p.m. with best viewing from beach and Boardwalk between Sixth Street and 14th Street.
- MS City to Shore Ride (Sept. 25-26): With 7,000 cyclists raising $5.6 million, the annual ride across southern New Jersey stops overnight in Ocean City. For more information, call 800-445-BIKE or visit mscycling.org.
- OCNJ Half Marathon, 5K and 10-Mile Non-Competitive Walk/Run (Sept. 26): Premier racing events of the fall. For more information, call 609-399-6111 or visit www.ocnj.us/Race-Events.